Friday, August 20, 2010

Super-cala-breastfeeding-cosleeping-delayed vaxing-cloth diapering-baby wearing-attachment parenting-lactivist!

Super - cala - breastfeeding - cosleeping - delayed vaxing - cloth diapering - baby wearing - attachment parenting - lactivist!
"Holy LABELS, Batman!
She's just like everyone else!"

Did you catch all that? Should I slow it down some?
I am a breastfeeding, cosleeping, delayed/selective vaccinating, cloth diapering, baby wearing, attachment parenting lactivist.
Try saying that three times fast in one breath hanging upside down in Tahiti. 

I'm not uncommon. There are thousands of other Mama's out there just like me. 
Sadly, I don't know any of them in real life. (I take that back - I bought cloth diapers from a lady on Craigslist whom I've been carrying on email conversations with. But does that really count?)

What this creates is a split kind of life. In the interwebs, I am normal. Dare I even say, in a sense, enlightened? Not necessarily enlightened because I choose the alternative route, but enlightened because I know there IS an alternative route.
When I unplug, things change. I'm the odd-girl out.

There are jokes out there about Mommy Wars. The "I am a better Mother than you" complex. Sometimes it's accidental, sometimes it's not. 
To differ from another Mama is, in essence, saying "What I am doing it better than what you are doing." If our choices match up - like two cloth diapering Mama's hanging out - then we agree that cloth is best. We chose that. We believe it to be true.

This is where the title of this blog comes in.
Mommy Trenches. 
I want to use this blog to explore and rejoice in these choices that I have carefully made. 
I want to meet and share with like minded Mama's. 
I hope to maybe enlighten and educate along the way.

I want my friends to better understand why I choose the things I do.
About that whole "Mommy Complex" - 
I've realized that the key to making friendships work with other Mama's is to realize that what is best differs from family to family, child to child. It took some time for me to understand that.
Only a Mama can know what's best for her child. And I know such intelligent, beautiful Mother's that I know they would never do anything less than that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment