Friday, August 6, 2010

Mommy Blogging

Starting a new blog is harder than I anticipated.
This isn't MySpace. There isn't some homepage to start from.
I've spent almost three months contemplating this blog. 
I almost didn't. A while ago The New York Times wrote about "Mommy Bloggers".
Those stay-at-home-mom's who selfishly sit on the computer all day while their children run amok, chasing pipe dreams of being writers. Like Motherhood is an illegitimate subject to write about. I think there was something about them also making money, but whatever. 

I really didn't want to fall into the category of a "Mommy Blogger". I don't know why. I don't think I knew why at the time. I just didn't want to.

I have a friend who has moved, quite literally, across the country. There is so much to share and so little time to do it in. It was decided that blogs would be key. 

For the record, I don't care so much about that anymore. I see now that blogging can be a key component of staying sane. You kill two birds with one stone - writing and sharing with friends. 

Hi. I'm April. I'm a Mommy Blogger. 

(I won't lie, it's still kind of weird to me.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, April! I'm Laurel. I mostly use my blog to complain about my life. :)

    No, but seriously. I remember that article because I read a lot of "Mommy Blogs" because my friend Tessica (she's at http://momyawp.blogspot.com and I really love her blog) is involved in the community. I think it's a great way for Moms to connect and share ideas, thoughts, and moments, even with other Moms they haven't met yet. A ton of people I read do memes like Post-It Note Tuesday (http://supahmommy.blogspot.com/2009/09/post-it-note-tuesday-what-will-you-say.html) or Pour Your Heart Out (http://thingsicantsay-shell.blogspot.com/2010/03/pour-your-heart-out-with-me.html). Both of those women write great blogs that involve their families and they each have a lot of women--and a ton of Moms--write for them Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. It's a really cool way to connect with people. You just do the meme, link your post on their pages (they do their own meme each week and at the bottom of the entry there's a place to link up) and then visit, read, and possibly comment on other people's entries. I almost always do "Pour Your Heart Out".

    I know. I just verbal overdosed with my fingers. I just really love the community and how supportive people you've never met can be.

    <3

    ReplyDelete